While I was "surfing" the web last week I found a FABULOUS craft blog called Greenbean's Crafterole. Stop by and visit a while, you won't be disappointed! :)
Anyhow, she blogged about making vinyl records into bowls. For what, you ask - just about anything.
I did a little more research and found one site that recommends using coffee filters to line the bowl if you are putting unwrapped food into it. I plan to use it mainly for wrapped candy and craft stuff. :)
My oldest daughter and I decided to give it a try. We got 2 records from our local Goodwill store and set off to "burn them up" as my husband so kindly put it! LOL It turned out that this is one of the EASIEST craft projects I have EVER done.
These are the steps I followed..
1) You need a cookie sheet, oven safe bowl and oven mitts. Put your bowl upside down on the cookie sheet put them in the oven and pre-heat to 200 degrees.
2) Place record on top of bowl with whichever side you want to be the bottom facing up. Let "cook" for 5 minutes. The record should be drooping down over the bowl, if not give it a couple more minutes.
3) Take the cookies sheet/bowl/record out of the oven. This is the trickiest part - lift the record off the bowl and flip the bowl over. Now put the record inside of the bowl and start shaping it to your desired form. The record will stay soft for about a minute but if you need to you can always put it back in the oven to soften again.
4) Once it cools your record bowl is ready to use!! :)
Now, Greenbean recommends using stacking bowls and making a "record sandwich" with the large bowl, then record, then small bowl when shaping your creation. I didn't have two oven safe stacking bowls so I just used one and it worked fine. Either way - what a cute bowl, right?
Let me know if you give it a try - oh, I used two movie soundtracks - A Love Story and West Side Story. My husband wasn't to happy that I "destroyed a bit of history" with the West Side Story record so choose your records carfully to avoid lash-back! LOL
- ► 2015 (32)
- ► 2014 (71)
- ► 2013 (62)
- ► 2012 (50)
- ► 2011 (100)
- AWESOME new Cricut Website!! :)
- IT"S TIME - Winter Wishes is HERE!!
- Winter Wishes Sneak Peek! :)
- Craft Project - Vinyl Record Bowls
- Sneak Peek!! New Scrappy Moms Stamps set...
- Made By Momo's Tuesday Challenge #12 :)
- Blog Hop Winner and Some Answers.... :)
- Kids Just Want to Have Fun Blog Hop
- Yay! A Blog Hop this Weekend!! :)
- I'm a GUEST DESIGNER! :)
- ▼ September (10)